Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A Peace of Cake

This post really has nothing to do with cake and everything to do with peace. I had a really productive conversation yesterday with another T who I respect and love. I am always somewhat frustrated when I have to be a strong initiator in the lives of others, but it may be that that is something God is calling me to enjoy, and a way in which I can really show love to those around me. The conversation with my friend was particularly amazing because it connected so well with the ideas that had recently been presented to me in the book The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. He was talking about recapturing the identity and personality of God and Jesus as presented in the Scriptures. And then, through this conversation, we got onto the subject of the true progression of knowledge to Carpe Diem (Know Thyself). It first begins with, not "Who am I?" but rather with "Whose am I?" Depending on the answer, we can then ask, "What is the person to whom I belong like?" For the person devoted to Christ, the question becomes "Who is God?" In answering this question, we move onto the third question, which is "What is the general state of all persons who belong to who I belong to?" Essentially this comes down to "Who is humanity?" And when you have asked all of these questions, you can come to the point of asking "Who am I?" You can now ask this question more completely because you realize that the answer is not centered on you anymore but is centered on your position in reality. Who you are depends on who God is, who people are, and whether you belong to the Kingdom of God or the Kingdom of this world. Then who you are is an easy question to answer, because going through this process should give you all the answer that you need. And that is a great thing to know, I think.

2 Comments:

At July 14, 2005 at 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey bro...you haven't really been doing a lot of um...checking and updating of this site...maybe one day you'll read this..idk...but if you eventually check and get this...what up bro? how you been doing? i'll try to call you as soon as possible...

 
At July 14, 2005 at 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
posted by nathan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home